måndag 4 oktober 2010

Practice Post

Hello beloved and missed family and friends!


I feel like an old person who's out of touch with technology because blogging intimidates me... I don't know what any of this stuff means that they want me to make a name/title/username/blogtitle/someotherkindofname? for (not to mention this one's all in Swedish) and I can't figure out if I'm logged in, I actually don't even remember ever logging in or giving it a password... But anyway here I am, and I think I'm writing the first post of this blog... About the background, it was one of the first choices they gave me for a design so I bet there are a million other people with this original, artsy, quaint background photo that makes my blog so special.


Life in Sweden is oh-so-exciting! The other day at the tax office, I had to stand in line to get to the machine that gives you a number in the queue. It's not that there were lots of people needing a number paper, it's that there were officers waiting there, directing the people to stand in line, speak to a representative, then get a number. So, I was queuing to queue. Only in Sweden. And, being so close to the UK, I use the word queue now! Did you know it's pronounced "Q" and not "Kay" -? So did I...
I also sometimes say "flat" now, because it's easier than apartment. You'll see an example in the next paragraph.


The other evening we were walking through Haga, such a quaint part of the city (only a 5 minute walk from my flat!!) that makes you feel like you went back in time... The streets are all cobblestone, the buildings are no taller than 3 stories, all the same looking Swedish "houses" (ok, buildings), and pretty much the only businesses there are second-hand or antique shops, or cafés. How many cafés are in Wichita? Take that number, and that is how many is in this ~10 square blocks Haga. You can do the same comparison with secondhand shops too. Anyway to add to the feeling of being in the 1800's, there was a little boy, 7 or 8, playing violin on the side of the street. It was soo cute! He wasn't a prodigy or anything, just practicing. He stopped for a while to warm his fingers, and looked a bit bored and slightly miserable.... He then said "Mama, can we go home soon?" to a woman across the street, who was inconspicuously standing there with a toddler girl. It was soo funny to see this middle-class mom making her son practice on the street!! Character building, I guess!


This blog will probably be filled with little (lame) stories like that... I like this blog because....
1) I don't have to type mundane news to everyone in separate facebook messages or e-mails
2) You can pick if you want to read about it or not, so as not to waste anyone's time!


I'll tell you more about what I'm up to when I upload pictures onto my computer. Actually I have to put some facebook albums up first, I'm a year behind. So after that process is over, I'll start writing better blog posts with better content and pictures. For now, miss you all!!


Funny Foreigner Words of Lately-
Christoffer told me a story in which the cops put someone in hankercuffs, and on an unrelated note, is afraid he may have a fraction on his rib.

1 kommentar:

  1. my little Gin-Pin, yay, your first blog post, Congrats! I am so excited that now I'll be able to hear about all your adventures. Love you and miss you!

    SvaraRadera